[kde-guidelines] [kde-promo] PING!!! "Revitalize the Design Crew. Hand count."

Carl Symons carlsymons at gmail.com
Sun Jan 19 15:59:34 UTC 2014

On 01/19/2014 06:30 AM, Jens Reuterberg wrote:
> Hi my name is Jens Reuterberg, I work as a freelance illustrator and graphics
> designer and recently got involved with KDE's designwork for "Plasma
> 2"/"Plasma by KDE"/What the name now will be.
>

> This was send to KDE-guidelines and KDE-artists mailing lists. KDE-promo needs
> to be in on this as well to get a good well rounded Crew (as this will
> directly affect you guys probably)

> Me and Thomas Pfeiffer talked about this yesterday and I said I should post
> about it here - essentially I have a plan to try to create, or revitalize a
> design crew for KDE. Now I know there has been allot of people who have worked
> allot with design within KDE for years and that there was a larger group a
> while back - so this is not me trying to steal the thunder or anything, just
> trying to do something positive.
>
> The main issue is that as a KDE user and someone who works with visual design
> - I didn't know you guys existed. I knew, like many, that "KDE is anti-
> designy" which is a fallacy along the lines of "KDE is bloated" so it wasn't
> until I was contacted by Aaron and Sebas that I even considered helping out
> because I assumed it wasn't wanted.
>
> There are allot of good methods and pathways for devs to contribute and work -
> but how do we adopt them for design work and how do we get more people to use
> them and contribute?
>
> The first step for this should be a quick "Who are active?" hand count. Just to
> know which of us work with design, interaction design, graphical design,
> marketing etc - the whole spectra - and which of us are interested in doing it
> actively.
>
> Second after finding out which of us are active and ready to participate, get a
> grips of where to go from there to help create a positive work flow for
> designers within KDE, an inclusive environment for people to help out with the
> design work needed and also how to make people aware that a need exists and a
> group exist for this.
>
> So who's here?

Here.

Thank you for initiating this. Contributions are wanted.

In addition to knowing that you are active, please indicate what you are
actively doing or what you want to do..."design, interaction design,
graphical design, marketing", and anything else that fits in the design
realm within KDE.

Carl Symons
- Marketing Working Group within KDE e.V.
- KDE news editor at dot.kde.org
- Akademy production team
- writing/editing, and mentoring of those
- promotion
- speak and exhibit at free software conferences
- wear my designer Eugene Trounev/conf.kde.in t-shirt in
Bellingham-WA-US; home of the original grass roots linuxfestnorthwest.org