[kde-guidelines] Hi! Introduction and short notes about the Plasma Sprint

Jens Reuterberg jens at ohyran.se
Fri Jan 17 12:21:11 UTC 2014

Thank you! :) its both humbling and inspiring being here. You guys
rock!
(as a side note I tend to ramble when nervous, in text and in speech so
tell me to shut up or stop rambling if you (anyone) wants to. I wont be
offended :) )
Also I really really think that a google hangout, a "designy hangout",
would be awesome. Just grab a date when we can all talk "face-to-face"
just to get some structure since it feels like I'm stepping on peoples
toes here considering the massive amount of work being done by you
guys are more or less unknown to me.

Also everything below where ideas that popped up during the Sprint.
Not plans. So I'm not trying to sneak things past you guys or anything.
Just to have that said.

Well in this case it was mostly about the systemtray - not actual "pop-
ups" (sry wrong terminology from me).

The idea was to go with Marcos brilliant work on the systemtray ...
"box"/"window"(?) where they all share the same layout and you can
move within it to other areas.
This combined with Sebas wonderful new calendar provided the frame-
work for visual ideas and a concept of "unification" of the desktop
experience.

http://vizzzion.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/clock-alpha-calendar2.png

This resulted in an idea of a unified layout - where it was divided into
different areas. The analogy that worked for that was a newspaper
article.
If you look at Sebas new calendar you can notice that it has a Content
which is the actual calendar, the date-grid and planner. At the same
time it has a header, a Critical bit of information, where the user can
get the most relevant information at-a-glance (Day and Month) and
then it has an Informative bit, in this case "November 2013".
The date, "21", is simply Decorative. It doesn't add new information (as
the date can be seen in the date-grid) but it makes it more accessible.

For a newspaper analogy: the Critical Information is the Header. It
gives the user an at-a-glance bit of information about what is
happening within the widget/app/plasmoid.
(ex. "Germans love Chocolate")

The Informative would be the Ingress where the article is summarized
and repeated. It gives the user/reader more information than the
header, less than the article, but you can ignore the article after
reading the ingress.
(ex. "During a Plasma Sprint Martin Grässlin confessed his love for
chocolate and explained the current bruha-ha in Germany concerning
Ritter sports ingrediens")

The Decorative would be the Photo or Illustration of the article. It can
be safely removed without ruining the article but it can also simplify
and add "another way into" the articles content.
(ex. a photo of Martin holding a Ritter Sport chocolate bar)

The Content in this analogy would be the article in full. The "relevant-
bit"

The difference and why this needs to be addressed is that it moves us
away from the concept of "wasted pixels" and the rocket ship
interaction of KDE's Plasma (where everything is laid out with the
minimum of fuss, like the dashboard of a rocket ship in comparison
with for example the dashboard of a Prius, one is made based on the
idea that the user is willing to learn how to use it, the other is based
on the idea that not all users want to learn and invites the user to
interaction and experimentation)

The relevant point is that this is not Content. This is the "surrounding
objects" - by seeing it as a newspaper, with information being delivered
to the user, we can set a layout blueprint that will draw the user into
the content or deliver the relevant information to the user without his
or her need to first scan the plasmoid/widget.
By formalizing it in an accessible way, through image examples,
codesnippets and example plasmoids we can make the design work of
devs so much more easy while at the same time create a "Design is
easy but relevant!" feeling with devs.