[kde-guidelines] Styleguide: Alignment

Heiko Tietze heiko.tietze at user-prompt.com
Mon Jan 6 14:55:26 UTC 2014

Am 27.11.2013 15:26:42, schrieb Heiko Tietze:
> After Nuno's 'no scribble, no answer' reply we haven't got a decision from artists. What do you think about a blog post that renew Aurelien's posting with a voting on my last image with different alignment examples?
>
> Am 31.07.2013 12:56:44, schrieb Thomas Pfeiffer:
> > I assume we all agree on everything but the alignment across groups.
> > Personally, I don't have a strong opinion on this. I liked Aurélien's
> > reworks of forms to alignment across groups, but I see valid arguments
> > against it as well. Since to me it's more a matter of aesthetics than
> > usability, I'd like to ask the visual design team for their take on this.

In the survey at http://user-prompt.com/kde-hig-survey-about-how-to-align-controls-over-multiple-groups/ most people vote to left align controls (~75%), some want to have controls center aligned (20%).
A good argument pro left alignment is that input controls usually are
 larger than the caption; the argument pro center alignment is that the
distance
for mouse move would be the same for left- and right handed people.

* Left align controls over multiple goups. In case of right-to-left languages mirror the alignment. (Most probably Qt applies RTL to all controls itself, then this advice is dispensable)* Justify the group caption to the left, or according your special alignment.

 On the downside this layout may look strange with long labels (e.g. after translation). So what's about a note:
* Keep track on label size; avoid big differences in text length even after translation.

 Many concerns in the discussion are about spacing, i.e. too much
 white space on the right side if controls are placed left hand. As well as in
respect to the suggestion to place the anchor at 2/3 between left and center, this argument is less
relevant because a group
should be sized according the content and/or controls should be expanded
 to full size. Maybe we should integrate guidelines on size and space into this page; but then it gets bulky, or not?