[kde-guidelines] Styleguide: Animata

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Sat Feb 22 20:21:06 UTC 2014

On Thursday 30 January 2014 10:42:15 Heiko Tietze wrote:
> Structure > Conceptual Model
> * Specify requirements considering destinata and animata of users.
> http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/HIG/Animata
>
> == Purpose ==
> Following the ISO 9241-110 about 'Dialoge principles', any interface should
> meet the following generic axioms: * suitability for task (the dialog
> should be suitable for the user’s task and skill level) * suitability for
> learning (the dialog should support learning)
> * suitability for individualization (the dialog should be able to be
> customized by users) * conformity with user expectations (the dialog should
> be consistent with user’s expectations) * self-descriptiveness (the dialog
> should make it clear what the user should do next) * controllability (the
> user should be able to control the pace and sequence of the interaction) *
> error tolerance (the dialog should be forgiving)
>

> Of course, all principles are relevant for the development, but an important
> part of the usability engineering process is to prioritize them in relation
> to target users and use scenarios. For instance, if controllability is
> pushed it might have bearing on individualization. In concordance to the
> 'hard' features of [[Projects/Usability/HIG/Destinata|destinatas]], those
> 'soft' requirements are a rather living aspect of software. It relates to
> user experience, to ease of use, and satisfaction, and is therefore called
> ''animata''.
>
> == Guidelines ==
> * Take animata into consideration, complementary to the
> [[Projects/Usability/HIG/Destinata|destinata]]. * Prioritize user's needs.
> * Keep persona and scenario in mind.
>
> == Example ==
> KDE's file browser 'Dolphin' should be developed in respect to the following
> ordered list of requirements: # Suitability: The dialog should suit user’s
> tasks and skills, and support without unnecessary strain by attributes of
> the dialog system. That is understood in terms of feature richness. If all
> the core requirements are fulfilled the dialog suits users’ needs.
> Unnecessary prompts or confirmations (‘Do you really want to exit?’) may
> cut back suitability. For example, commands on the shell are highly
> specialized and therefore suit perfectly the (limited) requirements. #
> Self-descriptiveness: Each single step of processing has to be direct
> intelligible, and the user should always be informed about the scope of
> performance. Self-descriptiveness should therefore be highly related to
> familiarity. The use of common controls, standard short-cuts, or
> introductory text supports comprehension and facilitates
> self-descriptiveness. The CLI is one example for low self-descriptiveness –
> it cannot be learned without man pages. #Controllability: The dialog should
> be managed by the user; he or she controls pace and sequence of the
> interaction. High controllability will be reached by unconstrained inputs,
> [...]

Sorry for taking so long to reply, I admittedly only now remembered that this
is still unanswered.

While the content of the example totally makes sense to me, I don't see how
this is related to the animata/animus, since Björn wrote that "animata" meant
people's _feelings_. If I thought about user's feelings, ISO 9241-110 wouldn't
exactly be the first thing that comes to my mind...
Could you (Heiko or Björn) maybe explain your "animata" concept to me again?