[kde-guidelines] HIG for list of pairs (details)

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Wed Apr 30 12:48:48 UTC 2014

On 30.04.2014 14:24, Jan Grulich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I didn't know how to call it, but we would like to know whether there is some
> HIG for list of details (talking about plasma networkmanagement applet). They
> are in form of list of pairs, where each pair is in form of "key: some value".
>
> We don't know how to format them, there are  few possibilities:
> 1) http://jgrulich.fedorapeople.org/details1.png (my option)
> 2) http://jgrulich.fedorapeople.org/details2.png
> 3) http://jgrulich.fedorapeople.org/details3.png
> 4) http://jgrulich.fedorapeople.org/details4.png (Björn's option)
>
> Also there is an option to have alternate rows with a different color:
> 5) http://jgrulich.fedorapeople.org/details5.png
>
> Also battery monitor has a list of details, so I think this should be somehow
> unified.
>
> What do you think? What are your opinions?

We have a guideline for alignment
(http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/HIG/Alignment), which was
created with forms in mind, but I see no reason for doing it differently
if things are only presented instead of being filled in. What you have
in Plasma-NM is similar to a "read-only form" to me.
We could extend the HIG to include lists of non-editable key-value pairs
as well.
The HIG would recommend Option 3, although the alignment line doesn't
have to be at the center of the applet.

Cheers,
Thomas