[kde-guidelines] HIG for search needed (?)

Heiko Tietze heiko.tietze at user-prompt.com
Thu Apr 17 19:17:16 UTC 2014

On Thursday 17 April 2014, 20:29:13 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> As stated before, I see three different things (filter a list, search
> anywhere and highlight within opened document), and in order to keep HIGs
> short, we should in fact create one HIG for each, and interlink them.
> I'd focus on the filtering first, since this is what the current draft
> mostly talks about.

I cannot follow you. First, those three aspects are apples and oranges to me -
filter/search are two different work-flow (which I want to separate) and
highlighting is one way to show the output. You argue with filter and search.
For instance:

|What about
|a) Search within active document
|b) Filter of currently visible list of elements
|c) Search for elements not currently visible
or
|Therefore I suggest we distinguish between filtering a list of things and
|searching within the document, and do the former with an always visible filter
|bar and the latter with one invoked with Ctrl-F or a button.

|KMail has all three (as described above)
|Kate has a) via Ctrl-F or "Edit -> Find..." as well as c) via "Search...
|Kickoff looks like it only has b),

I'm afraid of a mix-up and of unclear advice. I tried to write up a HIG for
all aspects we discussed, similar to your list, but it felt bad. Therefore I
want to get rid of all search except the content filter via ctrl+F - which is
what almost all application provide (in a similar way below the content).

If we follow your proposal with a), b), and c) we have to define when to use
what option. And we have to find a different name for c) as 'search'.
Additionally I have no idea what we add to the second HIG if all questions are
answered in this one.