[kde-guidelines] Styleguide: Frame

Heiko Tietze heiko.tietze at user-prompt.com
Sat Sep 28 12:58:17 UTC 2013

Am Freitag, 27. September 2013, 17:34:04 schrieb Jacky Alciné:
> > So let's just merge the two and tell devs that they should use QGroupBox
> > if they have a label and QFrame if they have none, shall we?
> That makes the most sense.
/done

* Arrange associated controls by using a labeled group box or an unlabeled
frame.
(Both, group box and frame like to the group box page)

== Purpose ==
A ''group box'' is a labeled rectangular area that surrounds a set of related
controls. A ''frame'' (also known as panel) is an unlabeled rectangular area
that can be used to mark relationship as well.

Both, group box and frame are a way to show relationships visually; it
provides no additional functionality.
== Example ==
== Guidelines ==

=== Is this the right control ===
* Always try to use a group box to arrange related controls.
* Use a frame to arrange related controls that cannot be labeled.
* Do not group single controls.
* Consider to communicate relationship by layout only.

=== Behavior ===
* Do not nest grouping elements; use layout to show relationships within a
group.
* Do not place controls in group box’ caption.
* Do not disable groups. To indicate that a group of controls doesn't
currently apply, disable all the controls within the group, but not the group
itself.
* Put a [[Projects/Usability/HIG/Splitter| splitter]] between aligned grouping
controls.

===  Appearance ===
* Label the group box with a descriptive caption.
* Do not assign an access key to the group box’ caption.
* Use a 'raised' shadow if the frame is used to convey relationship.
== Implementation ==

[[Category:Usability]][[Category:Behavior]][[Category:Viewing_and_Navigation]]
[[Category:Grouping]]