[kde-guidelines] Styleguide: Context menu

Heiko Tietze heiko.tietze at user-prompt.com
Tue Sep 24 10:06:23 UTC 2013

Am 24.09.2013 11:31:49, schrieb Thomas Pfeiffer:
> If it's automatically provided in the context menu but nowhere else,
> then what we want devs to do is provide it in the _main menu_ as well,
> right?
> Therefore I'd suggest writing
> "Add functions which are implicitly provided in a context menu by
> certain components (for example "cut/copy/paste" for text areas) to the
> main menu as well" below "* Do not use context menus as the only way to
> start a function. Always have a redundant access."
> I know this is pretty verbose again and maybe it can be shortened a bit,
> but for me that's the essence of what I understood from your explanation.
> We don't have to tell devs to provide something in a context menu which
> is already there by default, but we have to tell them to add a redundant
> way of accessing it.

I want to give an advice which items the context menu needs to contain. Build-in context menus are designed in this way. The standard interaction of any new control (or rather dialog) should be added to the context menu. In case of email it's Reply and Forward, maybe. On the other hand I don't want to clutter context menus and added therefore "Use context menus for well known functions only." I'd say spell checking is not an essential aspect of composing an email and must not find it's way into the context menu.

The part about redundancy is always in the guideline.* Do not use context menus as the only way to start a function. Always have a redundant access.
PS: Most likely my examples are not good because I mix to the list of emails and the composer.