[kde-guidelines] Styleguide: Context menu

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Tue Sep 24 09:31:49 UTC 2013

On 24.09.2013 11:19, Heiko Tietze wrote:
> Am 24.09.2013 11:14:24, schrieb Thomas Pfeiffer:
>
>     What do you mean by "not necessarily shown"?
>

> That's the hidden aspect of 'implicit functions'. You always have Copy
> and Paste in context menus of edit fields. I guess it cannot be changed
> by devs easily. But they are free to add the copy/paste feature
> explicitely to the main menu.

If it's automatically provided in the context menu but nowhere else,
then what we want devs to do is provide it in the _main menu_ as well,
right?
Therefore I'd suggest writing
"Add functions which are implicitly provided in a context menu by
certain components (for example "cut/copy/paste" for text areas) to the
main menu as well" below "* Do not use context menus as the only way to
start a function. Always have a redundant access."
I know this is pretty verbose again and maybe it can be shortened a bit,
but for me that's the essence of what I understood from your explanation.
We don't have to tell devs to provide something in a context menu which
is already there by default, but we have to tell them to add a redundant
way of accessing it.

Cheers,
Thomas