[kde-guidelines] Styleguide: Menu bar

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Mon Sep 23 14:36:51 UTC 2013

On 23.09.2013 16:14, Heiko Tietze wrote:
> Am Montag, 23. September 2013, 14:40:57 schrieb Thomas Pfeiffer:
>> ... I am all for showing the
>> menu bar by default, but users consciously decides that they prefer to
>> have it in a button, why should we not allow them to do  that?
>
> Of course is configurability one of the core features of KDE. But the default
> should be defined in the HIG. I'm not sure that adding a passage about the
> option to configure stuff is necessary.

The guideline "Do not make the menu bar hideable, users may not easily
be able to make the menu bar viewable again." means that a config option
to hide the menu bar and show the menu in a menu button instead is not
allowed, doesn't it? Or do you only mean completely hiding the menu? If
so, I think that should be clarified.
Actually that was the only thing I disagreed with. Showing the menu bar
by default absolutely makes sense.

> By the way: In my opinion it's a good idea to ask users about those issues. We
> identified some problems so far where we disagree. So why don't ask the
> community?

Sure we can do that.