[kde-guidelines] Styleguide: Accordion

Heiko Tietze heiko.tietze at user-prompt.com
Fri Oct 25 13:17:52 UTC 2013

On Friday 25 October 2013, 15:05:06 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> Not necessarily. If we link between them and make clear when to use
> what, it should still work.
> I'm not sure if we know for sure when to use what at the moment, though.
> I think the accordion makes sense in cases where users want to switch
> between sets of controls but have limited horizontal space (like in
> Calligra's case actually, not sure why they haven't used it there).
> The name "tool box" looks like this is precisely what the devs thought
> of when they created that control.

Since KDE does not make use of accordions I suggest to use it for different
'views'. That means when same content is shown from different perspectives. All
other structure, even Calligra's sidebars, can be handled with common means.
|* Use an accordion for content with mutually exclusive views. That might be a
calculator with simple vs. scientific vs. statistical layout, or a digital vs.
analog clock, for instance.

The accordion reminds me of MS Outlook, Apple's property editor or the like:
all with 'too much design'. Therefore:
|* Consider to replace the accordion by another control since KDE makes very
rarely use of this type of navigation.