[kde-guidelines] Styleguide: Accordion

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Fri Oct 25 13:05:06 UTC 2013

On 25.10.2013 14:41, Heiko Tietze wrote:
> On Friday 25 October 2013, 13:44:24 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
>> What lead to the decision to do a separate page for the Accordion? Your
>> idea to merge accordion and tabs into one HIG sounded perfectly
>> reasonable to me...
> I'm not sure anymore. Since vertical tabs are discouraged and because a list
> view could be used for grouping as well it might be confusing to have such a
> generalizing page. And all other pages are directly related to a particular
> control. Do you think the result is worse?

Not necessarily. If we link between them and make clear when to use
what, it should still work.
I'm not sure if we know for sure when to use what at the moment, though.
I think the accordion makes sense in cases where users want to switch
between sets of controls but have limited horizontal space (like in
Calligra's case actually, not sure why they haven't used it there).
The name "tool box" looks like this is precisely what the devs thought
of when they created that control.