[kde-guidelines] Styleguide: Tabs

Heiko Tietze heiko.tietze at user-prompt.com
Fri Oct 25 08:46:31 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 22 October 2013, 10:59:08 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> What are "all problems"?
Con:
* Much space is used for navigation, at least with text.
* Less flexibility when form is sized in landscape (which is the default).
There is simply more space horizontally.
* Captions do not fit into tab, at least when translated. Horizontal tabs are
resized according the text.
* Visual break between single line and multiline caption because of the top
alignment.
* Tabs are not accessible, neither be shortcuts nor per tab key.
* Caption's color is not applied according theme (which I haven't seen for
normal tabs, cf. font or paragraf details dialog).
* There is a break in interaction concept by collecting different function sets
into one dock panel ('add shape' has its own panel).
* Inconsitent usage: move the docker to the left side and you can get two
horizontal tabs, one unnamed and one for 'add shape'.
* It is an unusual interaction.
* I don't see any customization like for dockable toolbars (which would be the
same for horizontal tabs).

Pro:
* Better usage of widescreen layout.
* Fast access to (all) functions.

Do I always need to know that I can handle object alignment, setup general
layout, change properties etc.? If Calligra really want to provide an
integrated panel for settings, it make sense to use a dropdown for selection
of panel's content.

> And why do they not conform with KDE style?
Because all other programs do not use vertical tabs.

> > Perhaps we should discourage using them:
> Hm yes, maybe we can go with this...
Yeah :-)