[kde-guidelines] Styleguide: Tabs

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Tue Oct 22 08:59:08 UTC 2013

On Tuesday 22 October 2013 08:49:11 Heiko Tietze wrote:
> I found a screenshot here:
> http://www.linux-community.de/var/ezwebin_site/storage/images/internal/arti
> kel/print-artikel/linuxuser/2013/10/office-suite-calligra-2.7-im-ueberblick/
> abbildung-1/2221688-1-ger-DE/Abbildung-1_lightbox.png Those are vertical
> tabs, right. Do they have an advantage? Perhaps it is easier to code
> compared with the list view. Quite contrary I recognize all problems with
> this UI. I'd say it's not conform with KDE style. Which is not a big issue
> for Calligra.

What are "all problems"? The biggest issue I have with regular orientation
east/west tabs is the vertical label, which isn't the case here. And why do
they not conform with KDE style?
I could well have missed the issues, so I'd appreciate if you could point them
out to me. Maybe we can find a solution which doesn't have the issues but
still does not look like a KCM embedded in an application UI.
And Calligra itself would benefit from solving issues you see in their
implementation as well, of course.

> Perhaps we should discourage using them:
>
> * Do not use vertically stacked tabs. Tabs are drawn above the pages only
> (QTabWidget::TabPosition = North). If you want to group static pages use a
> list view with icons. And remove:
> * Always add icons of 48x48px to vertical tabs.

Hm yes, maybe we can go with this and only introduce any sort of vertically
stacked tabs in the HIG if more applications face the problems Calligra faced
and tried to solve with vertical tabs (which was too many tabs inside a narrow
area)