[kde-guidelines] Accordion

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Fri Oct 11 08:48:58 UTC 2013

On Friday 11 October 2013 01:07:05 Heiko Tietze wrote:
> On Friday 11 October 2013, 00:29:11 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> > Now that I actually understand the difference between accordion / tool box
> > and vertical tabs, I'd vote for using the accordion instead of vertical
> > tabs in cases where there isn't enough horizontal space for horizontal
> > tabs.
>
> I believe there is no KDE application that makes use of accordion. But I
> don't know for sure. Anyway, is it neccessary to have two different pages
> in HIG? Disregarding whether the controls are used or not, in which
> situation the accordion should get applied and when tabs? Beside the
> appearance both have similar or even identical interaction, or not?

I'm sure I've seen an accordion somewhere, I just don't know anymore where,
and I'm not sure if that application still uses them.

Actually, if I understood it correctly, the accordion / tool box works
slightly different to vertical tabs: Vertical tabs switch between different
views for to the right/left of them, whereas the tool box shows different
content _below_ the currently opened tab. So the interaction is the same, but
the layout is different and therefore I think they have different use cases.

However, integrating them into one common HIG absolutely makes sense to me due
to there similarity.