[kde-guidelines] Styleguide: Check boxes

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Fri May 31 21:24:07 UTC 2013

On Friday 31 May 2013 16:11:43 Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> Le Friday 31 May 2013 15:43:30 Heiko Tietze a écrit :
> > Am Freitag, 31. Mai 2013, 15:01:09 schrieb Aurélien Gâteau:
> > > I updated the check boxes section in
> > > http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/HIG/Form_Label_Alignment#Chec
> > > kb
> > > ox es with fresh screenshots.
> >
> > Should we really encourage the horizontal alignment of caption? I'd prefer
> > to place labels above the control.
> >
> > Disadvantage: less vertical space
> > Advantage: easy alignment, probably less trouble with RTL and
> > localizations
> > for "verbose" languages
>
> That would require a massive rework of many KDE apps to make them compliant
> and we would also have lots of vertical space problems: some dialogs already
> barely fit vertically on netbook-sized screens (1024x600), they would not
> fit anymore if labels were moved above their widgets.

I agree with Aurélien here: I don't think HIGs are the place for introducing
major changes. Right now almost all KDE applications place labels on the side
so if the HIG says they should be placed above, it would be completely out of
sync with reality.

> Having said so, there is a point to be made for labels above their widgets
> in situations where horizontal space is more precious than vertical space,
> for example in sidebars (Dolphin information sidebar comes to my mind).

Yes, we could indeed make a distinction here, like
"In places that are far taller than wide (such as sidebars) place labels above
controls instead of on the left"