[kde-guidelines] Styleguide: Check boxes

Aurélien Gâteau agateau at kde.org
Fri May 31 14:11:43 UTC 2013

Le Friday 31 May 2013 15:43:30 Heiko Tietze a écrit :
> Am Freitag, 31. Mai 2013, 15:01:09 schrieb Aurélien Gâteau:
> > I updated the check boxes section in
> > http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/HIG/Form_Label_Alignment#Checkb
> > ox es with fresh screenshots.
>
> Should we really encourage the horizontal alignment of caption? I'd prefer
> to place labels above the control.
>
> Disadvantage: less vertical space
> Advantage: easy alignment, probably less trouble with RTL and localizations
> for "verbose" languages

That would require a massive rework of many KDE apps to make them compliant
and we would also have lots of vertical space problems: some dialogs already
barely fit vertically on netbook-sized screens (1024x600), they would not fit
anymore if labels were moved above their widgets.

Having said so, there is a point to be made for labels above their widgets in
situations where horizontal space is more precious than vertical space, for
example in sidebars (Dolphin information sidebar comes to my mind).

Aurélien