[kde-guidelines] KStyleguide

Heiko Tietze heiko.tietze at user-prompt.com
Sat May 25 23:55:31 UTC 2013

Am Sonntag, 26. Mai 2013, 00:17:18 schrieb Thomas Pfeiffer:
> On Friday 24 May 2013 00:17:08 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> I've now inserted links to existing HIGs in the new structure...
Wow. Looks like a real styleguide now.

|Do not add controls to notification. Thomas: I would remove this. Adding
action buttons is allowed in the API and has reasonable use cases, other
controls simply cannot be added technically)
We talked about this recently. David: "As the developer of the app, you can't
add controls to the notification system." but the last ticket contains some
strange buttons. Do we talk about the same issue?

|Do not override system settings. (remark: more specific) Thomas: Which
settings do you mean here?
First of all, time until the panel fades out, and behaviour on mouse over.
Depends on what Qt allows. I have only experience with Freepascal and you can
influence a lot there. Maybe I should to learn Qt now.

-------------------------------

Am Donnerstag, 23. Mai 2013, 15:33:51 schrieb David Edmundson:
> I assume by KCM you mean the KCM at System Settings -> Application and
> System Notifications -> Manage Notifications
>
> If so, yes they are. Though it also possible to configure
> notifications in other places _as well_ but they will still always
> appear here.
In all cases when developers can decide between alternatives we should provide
a reference. IMHO the dos and don'ts of notifications are not really stunning
yet, and barely helpful in difficult situaltions.On the other hand, if just the
text can be specified, we remove the unusual points and go ahead.

I would recommend to apply the structure with purpose, examples, guidelines,
and code for all pages.