[kde-guidelines] List view

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Tue Jun 11 19:38:10 UTC 2013

On Monday 10 June 2013 17:34:12 Heiko Tietze wrote:

> > >  - TimeZones tab
> >
> > Oh, _that_ is how Qt does checkbox lists? Oh dear, that plain sucks. Not
> > only does it not allow multiselect via keyboard, you have to click the
> > checkbox to select it!
> > Okay, hm, that changes things... This implementation is indeed worse than
> > listbox in some ways.
> >
> > So I'd say: If we can have a widget which combines the easy selection of a
> > list box with the discoverability and accessibility, I'd prefer that for
> > every case.
> > If we can have only either a list view or that crappy checkbox list, when
> > we indeed have to choose based on the specific situation.
>
> About crappy cbl: Can we demand better one?

Well, theoretically there are two ways:
1. Get a better one into Qt Widgets (would be ideal, but I assume it's a
pretty complicated process since we have to convince the Qt community that
this is better for all Qt users)
2. Get a better one into kdelibs (problem here: kdelibs is frozen until KF5 is
out, and nobody knows for sure yet when that will happen)

So it is possible, but there is no quick and easy way.

> And just to not forget a point: Keyboard navigation is done by left/right
> cursor (instead of up/down which is every time "surprising" to me).

Which example did you look at? In the one I looked at (the timezones selection
in the settings for the digital clock Plasmoid), navigation was done with
up/down.