[kde-guidelines] List view

Daniel Kreuter daniel.kreuter85 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 8 09:40:06 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 6:35 PM, Thomas Pfeiffer <colomar at autistici.org> wrote:

> On 06.06.2013 18:08, Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
>
>>> True. However, selecting multiple mails at once there is a nicety, not a
>>> necessity. Users who do not want to or cannot use multi-select via
>>> keyboard can do everything one mail at a time.
>>> So yes, list boxes can be used if users never _have to_ select mutliple
>>> elements at a time.
>>

>> Interestingly, most webmail (gmail, roundcube, squirrel, horde...) have
>> checkboxes to select multiple emails.
>

> In a web context, users expect even less that multi-selection via ctrl and shift work. That's why even though they do work in most web email clients, checkboxes are used additionally to avoid the discoverability problem.
> And I think the tradeoff between added widgets and better discoverability is acceptable for desktop clients as well.

They are using the checkboxes in the web context to be able to easily
select multiple items at once.
They used them in the GMail App for Android until the last version.
This is quite useful in combination with touch and list views because
you won't have any other choice to select multiple items on touch
devices.
In the latest version they changed the check boxes to images which in
my opinion isn't that intuitive anymore (I only know that the images
on the left are for selection because on my nexus 7 there was a
message telling me that, on my smartphone this text is missing which
is not so optimal).

So I would suggest list views multi select only in combination with a
checkbox, otherwise someone who doesn't know that you have to hold
ctrl or shift + left click to select multiple items, and my parents
are of this kind of users who don't know that, would be able to easily
find out how to select items.

For dolphin, the green + icon is there because you need an easy way to
select multiple items if you have single click instead of double click
to open a file.

So long