[kde-guidelines] List view

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Thu Jun 6 16:35:32 UTC 2013

On 06.06.2013 18:08, Aurélien Gâteau wrote:

>> True. However, selecting multiple mails at once there is a nicety, not a
>> necessity. Users who do not want to or cannot use multi-select via
>> keyboard can do everything one mail at a time.
>> So yes, list boxes can be used if users never _have to_ select mutliple
>> elements at a time.
>
> Interestingly, most webmail (gmail, roundcube, squirrel, horde...) have
> checkboxes to select multiple emails.

In a web context, users expect even less that multi-selection via ctrl
and shift work. That's why even though they do work in most web email
clients, checkboxes are used additionally to avoid the discoverability
problem.
And I think the tradeoff between added widgets and better
discoverability is acceptable for desktop clients as well.