[kde-guidelines] List view

Heiko Tietze heiko.tietze at user-prompt.com
Wed Jun 5 22:10:36 UTC 2013

Am Mittwoch, 5. Juni 2013, 23:07:29 schrieb Thomas Pfeiffer:
> For me, list boxes are a relic of the past that simply should go away.
Objection! Any file manager has a list view either with simple view, or
detailled, or preview (as far as I know that are the terms).

After all we need this widget/control/item to define when and how it should be
used. If you think a list view must not get implemented with only keyboard
access then we should add something like "If the list view has multiple
selection property apply check boxes to each item in order to faciliate
access."
I would write it as "Consider to use...", and would add some thoughts when
check boxes are really recommended (lengthy lists, complex selection...?) and
when rather not (short lists, plain interface, expert users...).

> For shorter lists, a check box list is better than a simple list box because
> it allows to select single or multiple items without using the keyboard.
Check boxes makes a list heavier just due to the additional, dispensable
widgets/controls. They are not a solution of striking simplicity.

> To be honest: I would not recommend a simple list box for multi-selection at
> all, for a simple reason: Only being able to select multiple elements with
> the help of the keyboard is both a discoverability and accessibility
> problem. People not used to them have no clue that they have to hold shift
> or ctrl for multi selection and people who cannot use a keyboard have to
> switch between on-screen keyboard and list box, which I can't imagine to
Agreed. But KDE users are not lusers.