[kde-guidelines] List view

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Wed Jun 5 21:07:29 UTC 2013

On Wednesday 05 June 2013 15:20:07 Heiko Tietze wrote:
> HIG > Selections
> * Use a list view for one or a few n of some m selections.
> "List view" points to
> http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/HIG/ListView that contains of
> just a collection of ideas so far. But perhaps it's good for discussion
> right now.

To be honest: I would not recommend a simple list box for multi-selection at
all, for a simple reason: Only being able to select multiple elements with the
help of the keyboard is both a discoverability and accessibility problem.
People not used to them have no clue that they have to hold shift or ctrl for
multi selection and people who cannot use a keyboard have to switch between
on-screen keyboard and list box, which I can't imagine to work well.

For m out of n selection, I'd always use - depending on the criteria I
mentioned in check boxes thread - one of these:
- Check boxes
- Check box list
- Dual list

For shorter lists, a check box list is better than a simple list box because
it allows to select single or multiple items without using the keyboard. For
me, list boxes are a relic of the past that simply should go away.