[kde-guidelines] Styleguide: Check boxes

Aurélien Gâteau agateau at kde.org
Wed Jun 5 14:21:04 UTC 2013

On Wednesday 05 June 2013 14:05:03 Heiko Tietze wrote:
> Based on recent mailing list discussion and blog comments I added (+) or
> changed (-/+) some bullets:
>
> + * Do not use sliding switches in Desktop applications. They only offer
> good user interaction on touch screens, so they should only be used in
> applications for [http://community.kde.org/Plasma| Plasma Active].
> + * Do
> not add line breaks. If necessary place an additional label below the check
> box.
> - * Don't use a check box for more than 10 options, use a (drop-down)
> list.
> + * For more than five options, use either a
> [[Projects/Usability/HIG/Combo_Box| check box list]] or the
> [[Projects/Usability/HIG/Combo_Box| dual-list pattern]]. (Guidelines for
> these controls go to the respective entry.)
> +* Do not separate check box and label. Clicking on both the box and the
> label should toggle the option.

> +=== Text ===
> +* Label every check box or radio button.
> +* Assign a unique access key to each label.

I don't think we need to recommend assigning unique access keys: kdelibs
automatically assigns access keys, taking care of conflicts.

> +* Do not use ending punctuation (neither dot nor colon).
> + some pictures
>
> (Text and Appearance are rather designated to the last section:
> Presentation. But I believe it's good to have it here and there, perhaps
> there with some general aspects.)

> |* Do not use the selection to perform commands or to dynamically display
> |other controls and windows.

Earlier today I changed this sentence from:

"* Don't use the selection to perform commands or to dynamically display other
controls and windows."

to:

"* Don't use the selection to perform commands."

http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Projects/Usability/HIG/Check_Box&diff=prev&oldid=79652

I did this because the part about dynamically displaying widgets sounded
redundant with a previous bullet point:

"* If certain controls in a configuration dialog are only relevant if a
certain check box is checked (i.e. they are dependent controls), disable them
instead of hiding them if that check box is unchecked."

Am I missing something?

Aurélien