[kde-guidelines] Styleguide: Check boxes

Heiko Tietze heiko.tietze at user-prompt.com
Wed Jun 5 14:05:03 UTC 2013

Based on recent mailing list discussion and blog comments I added (+) or changed (-/+) some bullets:

+ * Do not use sliding switches in Desktop applications. They only offer good user interaction on touch screens, so they should only be used in applications for [http://community.kde.org/Plasma| Plasma Active].
+ * Do not add line breaks. If necessary place an additional label below the check box.
- * Don't use a check box for more than 10 options, use a (drop-down) list.
+ * For more than five options, use either a [[Projects/Usability/HIG/Combo_Box| check box list]] or the [[Projects/Usability/HIG/Combo_Box| dual-list pattern]].
(Guidelines for these controls go to the respective entry.)
+* Do not separate check box and label. Clicking on both the box and the label should toggle the option.
+=== Text ===
+* Label every check box or radio button.
+* Assign a unique access key to each label.
+* Do not use ending punctuation (neither dot nor colon).
+ some pictures

(Text and Appearance are rather designated to the last section: Presentation. But I believe it's good to have it here and there, perhaps there with some general aspects.)

|* Do not use the selection to perform commands or to dynamically display other controls and windows.

Postponed (entry moved to end)