[kde-guidelines] Date/Time picker (Was: Grunt work)

Aurélien Gâteau agateau at kde.org
Tue Jul 2 15:13:57 UTC 2013

On Monday 01 July 2013 17:22:52 Heiko Tietze wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 27. Juni 2013, 18:08:16 schrieb Aurélien Gâteau:
> > * Refreshed Date_Time_Pickers [1]: new content, new screenshot. It needs
> > more guidelines though, see [2].
>
> I added some guidelines:
>
> The date/time picker is a control that provides a convenient way to select a
> certain date or time. The time picker works just like a spin box with an
> adopted mask. The date picker shows all days of a month in weekly columns,
> has small navigation buttons to access previous and next month or years as
> well as interactive controls to chose month and year directly. The user
> 'picks' the date per single click on a particular day. An additional
> 'today' button can be used to navigate back. The benefit of date/time
> picker is that these controls prevent format error and provide feedback on
> wrong input.
>
> * Use a date/time picker as a convenient way to select a certain day or
> time.
> * When selecting a date use a KDatePicker. If space is limited, use a
> KDateComboBox or a KDateWidget.
> * Allow direct input at the input field (e.g. to copy/paste values).

I don't think this line is necessary: this is the default behavior when using
KDateComboBox and KTimeComboBox.

> * When user must select both start and end date/times, make the default end
> date/time aware of the start date/time: when the user sets a start date,
> switch the end date at least to the same date.
> * Avoid wrong input by restricting the period to a reasonable range (for
> instance when a range is being selected).
> * Do not modify localization settings (i.e. first day of week, date label
> etc.)
> * Use controls consistently; either all date input should be done by
> date picker or none.
> * Consider to replace the time picker by a drop down list with fixed
> periods.

KTimeComboBox provides a drop down list by default, see
http://agateau.com/tmp/ktimecombobox-dropdown.png

> * Insert current time or date into into input field on user reset.

What do you mean with "user reset"?

> * If picker is used as popup close it on selection.

Probably not necessary either: there is no way to get a different behavior.

> PS:
>
> I wonder if KDatePicker does realy include the today button along with
> selection input and week at the bottom. Kmail's calendar widget doesn't have
> these features, and at least the today is very beneficial.

Not sure which widget you are referring to, is this about KOrganizer "Date
Navigator" (the one in the top-left corner)? I agree it would be good for it
to have a "today" button.

KDateComboBox actually provides some "keywords" in its drop-down, but I think
it goes a bit too far, see http://agateau.com/tmp/kdatecombobox-dropdown.png

Aurélien