[kde-guidelines] Password Field

Heiko Tietze heiko.tietze at user-prompt.com
Mon Dec 9 11:14:25 UTC 2013

Am 06.12.2013 14:58:32, schrieb Björn Balazs:
> Kai Uwe pointed me to the fact that Windows 8 is using something like that,
> e.g. [1].
>
> [1] http://blogs.technet.com/b/next/archive/2012/11/12/little-details-windows-8-passwords.aspx

 Personally, I'd like to have this behavior and design too. But to play the advocatus diaboli:  * Inline features have bad accessibility. A check box is always equipped with a label and a thereby a short-cut. We have to add some kind of easter egg for keyboard access like F9 to toggle masking on/off.* At least the W8 style icon does not have the affordance to get clicked. Novices might read it as plain information that something is set or not. Okay, a tool-tip is always a working indicator but perhaps we should think about a real speed button.* Toggle buttons are not preferred controls. We state in the HIG "...But toggle buttons should be used with care outside a toolbar because the state is not clearly indicated".

Two other questions are discussed in this thread (at least):1. Double password input on creation. We don't want to get bothered by meaningless controls. Solution 1 is to toggle  password visibility and to omit the repetition, solution 2 to only show the second input in case of masking. Both are bad and have obvious trade-offs. When I think about when a new password is generated, only the first time a system is installed comes in my mind. So I recommend to keep the guideline as it is.2. Persistence of last masking. I read the postings like Thomas as a strong acceptance for always have mask active.