[kde-guidelines] Possible guidelines for buttons with menus

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Wed Aug 7 08:48:08 UTC 2013

On 05.08.2013 15:11, Heiko Tietze wrote:
> Am Montag, 5. August 2013, 13:43:54 schrieb Thomas Pfeiffer:
>> I agree that split buttons are not the exactly the best widget ever, but
>> there are cases where I have not seen better alternatives to them yet.
> Another argument comes in my mind after reading Aureliens other posting. When
> I start a non-default action from the split button, how do I know what I have
> done? Assuming I'm color blind and the button contains three colors, labelled
> "red", "green" etc. and I choose the right option by label. More generic
> formulated: Every function needs a clear feedback.
>
> Okay, we could toggle the buttons caption (and default function) but this
> would be really uncommon. ;-)

I don't get it. How can I tell which function from a menu I've executed?
It's not like the menu changes afterwards... If I don't use access key
but navigate through it via the cursor keys, I select the entry, hit
enter and it is executed. Exactly the same goes for for a split menu
button: I open the menu, select the entry, hit enter and it's executed.

I've been using split menu buttons in several applications for years
without them feeling weird at all. The only thing that feels weird is
delayed menus, but we all agree we want to get rid of those, right?