[kde-guidelines] Styleguide: Start page

Heiko Tietze heiko.tietze at user-prompt.com
Fri Aug 2 12:56:02 UTC 2013

Am Freitag, 2. August 2013, 14:44:04 schrieb Aurélien Gâteau:
> """
> Human interface guidelines (HIG) are software development documents that
> offer application developers a set of recommendations. Their aim is to
> improve the experience for users by making application interfaces more
> consistent and hence more intuitive and learnable.
> """
> What do you think of this?

I'm not sure. Pro: We could add the advice to contact the usability team [1]
(cf. 2. Behavior). Con: A lot of space is needed that is relevant only for
first time readers. And, to be honest, I wouldn't read all the stuff I write
myself ;-) (Not until the krita team puts it into a nice comic.)

"All HIGs assume that the controls referenced in the "Implementation" sections
are used. Therefore they only contain guidelines for aspects which can be
changed by the developer, to keep them as concise as possible.
If you feel your application needs something which the referenced standard KDE
or Qt widget does not provide, do not create you own custom replacement,
because it might violate best practice which is implemented in the standard
widget. Instead, ask the KDE HIG team for advice on how to solve your specific
problem."