[kde-guidelines] The principle of guidelines.kde.org -- one step further

Thomas Zander TZander at factotummedia.nl
Wed Sep 29 09:11:51 CEST 2004

On Wed, Sep 29, 2004 at 12:42:39AM +0200, Lauri Watts wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 September 2004 21.03, Frans Englich wrote:
> > I agree with Thomas, I don't think there's a trouble with Cocoon because
> > it's Java as long we don't hit the memory roof(of course). Java was once
> > slow, and there's apps which are written slow, but I think Java in itself s
> > fine. Also, Java is used in many large website projects(as example to that
> > it works, performance wise).
>
> Yeah, but when it was slow, it was slooooow.  That's about when I last touched
> the stuff :)

I wrote a server a couple of years ago that still is operational and
serves about a million hits a day.  Each hit is actually retrieval or store
of a data-object with a database backend.  Pretty advanced stuff, with
on the fly sql generation and all.
The solution is Java based and is _very_ multithreading and currently serves
about 800 customers.
We run it on a 4-processor 1Gb machine without any problems (load per
processor tends to not rise above 0.1).  Most of the memory is used to cache
data in order to avoid DB roundtrips.

Java really has grown up;  just like C++ it had its problems in the loadable
libraries department 2 years ago, java was slow in loading classes (which is
just a library, really).  Nowadays, its not hard to create a well performing
Java environment.

Hope you don't mind the rant...

--
Thomas Zander