[kde-guidelines] The principle of guidelines.kde.org -- one step further

Thomas Zander TZander at factotummedia.nl
Tue Sep 28 18:23:45 CEST 2004

On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 04:07:06AM +0000, Frans Englich wrote:
> I would like, that we as long term goal aim at one central developer site.
> Just like Apple and GNOME has it, but we will by no doubt reach a much better
> result.
>
> One major advantage would be purely technical. Everything would be written in
> Docbook, with the flexibility that brings. We would build a driver frontend
> to our API reference so all documentation could do exact references.
>
> We would let Cocoon handle the transformation chain, so it was taken care of
> automatically(cached). PDF downloads available for each page(print only what
> you need). We could show related commits, and display just added
> icons(feeds). Navigation would be generated automatically. A news engine
> would serve related news -- usability commentary on the net, and technical
> articles.

Cocoon (http://cocoon.apache.org/) is a Java servlet and thus needs a java
servlet engine.  While this is not rocket science (Tomcat is apt-gettable
IIRC) I'm wondering how realistic it is to get that onto the servers since
it has to be maintained as well.

Frans; do you have experience with Cocoon?  How much Java programming is
needed to do wierd things?  Or is xslt experience enough?

--
Thomas Zander