[kde-guidelines] bugs.kde.org for guidelines

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Mon Sep 27 23:17:23 CEST 2004

On Monday 27 September 2004 20:19, Aaron Seigo wrote:
> On September 27, 2004 14:11, Frans Englich wrote:
> > Let's flip the coin: So let's say we first file bug reports when we have
> > content, as Aaron suggested(for him it ticked through it could be good at
> > some point, at least). So when is it ok to file bug reports? When 1.0 is
> > released? When a draft is worked on? How much non-related content must be
> > created before a statement that something unrelated needs work, becomes
> > true and useful? :)
>
> i think we can use our common sense and when there's stuff around to report
> against, we can do so. until then... well, common sense. i tend to believe
> we all have it, we just need to excercise it =)

Well, I obviously will need some training there. You'll have to hold my hand
when I take my next steps with that bug database.

> > Come on, why don't we go for another round? I bet you all got spicy
> > things to say.
>
> oh, please don't. i happen to be the moderator for this list, but i prefer
> not having to do any moderation. it aggravates my sciatica.

Nice that this thread ended(not to my credit).

Since this cozy little group surely will have more cute discussions in the
future, it could be interesting to see how this thread turned out(according
to my opinion):

It went quite well; excluding the end, it was straight to the point and
reasonable arguments, although it had to be clarified it wasn't about using
it as a discussion forum, and it also had to be outlined that the argument
about the parallel to the gnome HIG was unmet.

The latter is rather interesting: I basically said "The gnome folks write a
HIG, they use a bug DB, I want to do like them, because for them it works,
and I think it is reasonable to compare to them," and proceeded with a clean
question: "Why is it not reasonable to treat theirs and our situation as
equal?"

What was the reply? What objective argument tried to prove I was wrong? There
was no such reply. There was no change in mind, nor was there an explanation
to why. However, Thomas cast his vote -- which of course is reasonable --
although it's not much to admire or work from. It's just an opinion.

I can only do a simplified speculation to why; somehow Thomas deem his own
judgment is stronger than that of all the gnome developers, and/or that
whatever possibilities to that he is wrong, is not worth the risk of having
those bug reports created.

Thomas did another comment: "I find it somewhat disturbing that you feel that
we are all suffering from mass-delusion and need teaching." When only looking
at a certain part of the replied mail, he's right, namely this:

"I didn't markup 400 table entries because I find it fun, nor only for the
reason that Docbook looks pretty. I don't know about you, but it horrifies me
to arrange such a document, which is to be of an amazing detailness, in the
form of TODOs and bookmarks to threads which are to be waded for their
relevant content."

It surely is an authoritative since it motivates my opinion with the assertion
that I have much experience. _But_, in the same mail I withdrew my proposal
and basically said "I still don't agree, and here's why: <the authoritative
assertion>". Thomas' last mail was "I still don't agree," but no motivation.
That's two votes, with equal value. Same crap.

Apart from that, there's the argument no one responded; it wasn't knocked
down, or said to be correct.

So, let's see how it goes the next time!

			Frans