[kde-guidelines] bugs.kde.org for guidelines

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Sun Sep 26 03:29:41 CEST 2004

On Thursday 23 September 2004 04:35, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 September 2004 08:48, Frans Englich wrote:
> > Again, what have the GNOME folks done wrong? In what way do they not gain
> > from what I described, and how would these 67 requests fit into a Wiki or
> > TODO file?
> >
> > Now, systematically and thoroughly, explain to me why I am wrong.
>
> it's a bit odd to have bugs open on content that doesn't exist.

Why? Have you never scribbled down notes about something you are to write, or
planned a major piece of code on paper? Just because something is missing,
doesn't mean a statement about that something else is missing, is not useful.
TODO entries, such as wishlists for applications in the bugzilla, are seldom
dependent on each other.

As one might guess, I didn't start pondering on the HIG when it was announced
others got the idea it needed improvement. I didn't markup 400 table entries
because I find it fun, nor only for the reason that Docbook looks pretty. I
don't know about you, but it horrifies me to arrange such a document, which
is to be of an amazing detailness, in the form of TODOs and bookmarks to
threads which are to be waded for their relevant content.

> discussion of application development and design does not happen on b.k.o,
> and for good reason:

Right on. But it's not contradictory. For example, in the thread you reply to
I write: "I haven't planned to use the bug DB as a forum"; "Drafting, and
discussing the HIG is perhaps the wiki usable for"; and "What we can do is
[...], and we can then take that 'bundle' and discuss it once and for all,
and mark that in writing." I have never stated I would use the database in
any special way, so interpret my words literally -- I want to use bugzilla,
because it is bugzilla. No worry.

I find this thread silly. Someone takes the initiative to get something done,
and people say no. If I was lurking, I would think the poster of such a mail
knew better than me, because he has ideas, drive and from that, the
conception that the suggestion would be a good idea, while I couldn't think
of any reason to why it would be a bad idea. I would respond, "Sure, as long
you are willing to maintain it". I find the replies in this thread
unstrategic from a management perspective. Friction.

But I got productive things to do -- I'm out of this thread.

Cheers,

		Frans