[kde-guidelines] bugs.kde.org for guidelines

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Tue Sep 14 04:54:36 CEST 2004

On Sunday 12 September 2004 18:55, zander at kde.org wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 12, 2004 at 06:46:08PM +0000, Frans Englich wrote:

> > > no specific objections other than to say i don't know if a bug database
> > > is the most useful place to hold discussions regarding the guidelines.
> > > this seems to be much more suited to email lists and actually adding to
> > > the guidelines texts in CVS. if for some reason there is a need to have
> > > an intermediary location for recording ideas/thoughts/rants i'd suggest
> > > a wiki over the bug database.
> > >
> > > so far the "bug" entries consist of "things that should be covered".
> > > what makes posting these discussions to the appropriate mailing list
> > > unsatisfactory? if there are issues, then we should fix them =)
> >
> > Right :) But what needs to be covered pours in constantly(kde-usability
> > for example) and in other areas too, but we don't have the resources to
> > discuss, write, and pull the changes at the pace the "bugs" gets
> > reported. Many things are so detailed they easily gets forgotten. I
> > haven't planned to use the bug DB as a forum, but as status tracking:
> > details, links, pointers to threads, etc. can be posted, and then the
> > reports can one after one be brought to discussion on this list. And it
> > doesn't hurt emphasizing that: Discussing the BRs as they drop in would
> > lead to a not full-heartedly result, it should instead be done when it's
> > planned to make something concrete out of it(e.g. writing).
>
> The problem that issues flow into the lists to fast, I personally work
> around by don't deleting the important emails and threads.   Keeping
> bookmark folders to lists.kde.org also works quite nice IMO.

But isn't bugzilla then pointless since developers could use TODO's and
bookmark folders?
I want to use bugzilla for the usual reasons; it allows a formal way of
handling requests; a Maintainer can deny a suggestion by users(developers),
see how the Gnome people use it. It's not fluid as a Wiki, but a separation
between suggestions and those who decide. Drafting, and discussing the HIG is
perhaps the wiki usable for(if I am going to write, I will probably link to
my local test server).

Two cents,

		Frans