[kde-guidelines] bugs.kde.org for guidelines

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Sun Sep 12 20:46:08 CEST 2004

On Sunday 12 September 2004 18:16, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Sunday 12 September 2004 12:10, Frans Englich wrote:
> > I would like to change the layout into a "KDE Guidelines" product, with
> > the different guidelines as components.
> >
> > Objections?
>
> no specific objections other than to say i don't know if a bug database is
> the most useful place to hold discussions regarding the guidelines. this
> seems to be much more suited to email lists and actually adding to the
> guidelines texts in CVS. if for some reason there is a need to have an
> intermediary location for recording ideas/thoughts/rants i'd suggest a wiki
> over the bug database.
>
> so far the "bug" entries consist of "things that should be covered". what
> makes posting these discussions to the appropriate mailing list
> unsatisfactory? if there are issues, then we should fix them =)

Right :) But what needs to be covered pours in constantly(kde-usability for
example) and in other areas too, but we don't have the resources to discuss,
write, and pull the changes at the pace the "bugs" gets reported. Many things
are so detailed they easily gets forgotten. I haven't planned to use the bug
DB as a forum, but as status tracking: details, links, pointers to threads,
etc. can be posted, and then the reports can one after one be brought to
discussion on this list. And it doesn't hurt emphasizing that: Discussing the
BRs as they drop in would lead to a not full-heartedly result, it should
instead be done when it's planned to make something concrete out of it(e.g.
writing).

The GNOME folks have an entry, I think it works well:

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?product=HIG&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&bug_status=VERIFIED&email1=&emailtype1=substring&emailassigned_to1=1&email2=&emailtype2=substring&emailreporter2=1&changedin=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&short_desc=&short_desc_type=substring&long_desc=&long_desc_type=substring&bug_file_loc=&bug_file_loc_type=substring&status_whiteboard=&status_whiteboard_type=substring&keywords=&keywords_type=anywords&op_sys_details=&op_sys_details_type=substring&version_details=&version_details_type=substring&cmdtype=doit&namedcmd=gnome-libs+past+20+days&newqueryname=&order=Reuse+same+sort+as+last+time&form_name=query

> as for having the different guidelines as components, that would require
> support from the artists and the accessability team.

Sure, we wait for their comment. I see a need for the CIG, but I would create
a11y entry on demand; when the need emerges(but I still think it should be
merged with the HIG..grumble..).

BTW, anyone mind if I redirect the mail to this list? It will then reach the
right people, and not only my corner. Piping HIG mail to kde-usability, would
really lead to the typical useless discussion, I think(either this list, or
not).

			Frans