[kde-guidelines] CVS

Frans Englich frans.englich at telia.com
Thu Oct 28 20:30:47 CEST 2004

On Thursday 28 October 2004 17:51, zander at kde.org wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 05:36:35PM +0000, Frans Englich wrote:
> > stylesheets/*.xsl
> > src/*.xml			  // docbook sources
> > src/images/*.png
> > current/{*.php,*.pdf} // "HEAD"/"draft" version
> > 1.0/{*.php,*.pdf}
> > X.X/{*.php,*.pdf}	  // Different versions of the HIG
> >

> > 1) Since we most likely will have many images, wouldn't it be a good idea
> > to separate those into src/, and possibly other sub directories, in order
> > to avoid name clashes, and not flood common?
>
> I'm against putting images in the source dir since you don't expect that
> you have to have the source dir as a final format. (i.e. on the webserver)
> Common seems fine; and you can always subdir there if need becomes
> apparent.

No big deal, the images would be copied, see the Makefile for the current HIG
for an example. just as other content is put in a directory, so is the
images. The images are sources, and not tied to output format. Since they
will be in CVS anyway, they can just as well have a proper place. For
example, with different versions you will have different images, and that
won't work since common/ isn't versioned(but the output directories are).

> > 2) How have you thought to handle different versions of the HIG?
>
> What do you expect to see?  How many versions should there be on the web?
> And in what timeframe; should we think about multiple versions if the first
> version will only be published maybe a year in the future?

Will we, or will we not have multiple versions? Several people have said we
would have versioning(and I think it's a good idea), even as close as
following the KDE releases(4.1, 4.2 etc). Since we're planning the directory
to not have to change it later, it could be a good idea to think of
versioning now -- simply for the reasons we are planning the directory
layout.

> > /src/hig/images/		# Same for a11y and other guildeines, you get the
> > point.
>
> Thats not practical; images could (and should) be shared.
>
> > Do we need anything more than chunked xhtml and PDF(and
> > kdevelop/khelpcenter)? I don't see how one page, docbook.xsl, generation
> > would be useful -- it's impractical to read, and printing is best done
> > with PDF, AFAICT. In what scenario would it be used?
>
> for accessibility readers?

No idea. Chunked output have accessibility keys. Anyone have some facts?

Cheers,

		Frans