[kde-guidelines] CVS

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Thu Oct 28 03:06:42 CEST 2004

Hi all,

This is no less than the third time I have written this email, I do hope it
gets actually sent this time!  In any case, what there already is of the HIG
has been floating around my hard drive for far too long, and it's holding up
getting more writing done, so I'd really really like to get it into CVS so
I'm not the one holding up the works all the time :)

I would like to commit to CVS the stuff I have sitting around here for the
HIG.  Currently it's a few docbook files, the support XSL, CSS and JavaScript
for it, and a very simple shellscript that generates output files in various
formats.   The actual layout is rather flexible, but will be a beast to
change in CVS later, so it's best to decide now.

I can right now generate "pretty multi-page HTML" (the one with the hide/show
sections and fancy sidebars), Plain multi-page HTML (looks just like the KDE
Docs in KHelpCenter, and with all content visible), all-in-one-page HTML
(very plain, suitable for printing) and PDF (there's a buglet in the PDF
currently that makes it not create a TOC, but nothing that can't be fixed)  I
also have a half working XSL to pull out just the guidelines from the docs,
and present them as a checklist to work through.  There are potentially other
output formats, so whatever is decided, it needs to be able to scale up some.

Each version has links that resolve inside it's own version, and none of them
specially care where they are, although each one needs to be in a different
subdirectory, since there are otherwise filename clashes.

I'd like to make this structure:

/ [1]
	/common/ [2]
	/src/
		/index.docbook [3]
		/accessibility/
		/usability/
	/html [4]
	/plainhtml
	/multi-html
	/pdf

Notes:
[1] The root of the website: I imagine this would contain entry points to the
different versions of the guidelines, and probably provide downloadable and
installable-into-khelpcenter/kdevelop versions

[2]  The support files and shared content (graphics, styles, etc) for all the
html versions

[3]  The sources - in order for the links to resolve between the different
books (ie, links from the usability guidelines to content in the
accessibility one) there needs to be an overall 'meta' document that includes
them all into itself - under that, the other content can be kept quite
separate from each other.

[4]  The filenames are guaranteed (or the original docbook will be invalid) to
be unique, so having all the html content in one directory is not really a
problem, since there would be entry points from the website itself directly
into the applicable pages.  The url's would probably look something like:
http://guidelines.kde.org/html/accessibility.html (for say, the introduction
into the accessibility book) and
http://guidelines.kde.org/html/usability.html for the usability one.

I expect here I can also tweak the stylesheets so the accessibility and
usability guidelines go into separate subdirectories, so it'd be
"http://guidelines.kde.org/html/accessibility/<something>.html" for a page in
the prettified accessibility guideline book, and
"http://guidelines.kde.org/plainhtml/accessibility/<something>.html" for the
same content in the plainer (but more accessible) version.

That would leave the files in the root directory (the usual php and html stuff
I suppose - I am completely PHP challenged, so someone else is going to have
to take care of that part) and those under src/ that would be edited by the
maintainers, and the rest is generated.  I would be happy to see it generated
by hand, as required, for the present - if the directory structure is fairly
sane, we can probably retrofit it with auto-generation stuff when we have
some, and if not, well, mod_rewrite is a powerful friend to deal with that.

Regards,
--
Lauri Watts
KDE Documentation: http://docs.kde.org