[kde-guidelines] Docs finally in CVS

Lauri Watts lauri at kde.org
Thu Dec 9 03:56:57 CET 2004

On Thursday 09 December 2004 00:42, Ellen Reitmayr wrote:

> Some comments/questions:
>
> - Currently, there is one file per chapter. This will probably not
> suffice when the amount of text is going to increase. But splitting will
> be done later...

Yeah, split as you like, when you like, whatever is convenient for you.

> - I tried to link within one file (e.g. in keyboard.xml from
> keyboard_shortcuts_basics_guidelines to
> keyboard_shortcuts_standard_guidelines) -> seems that is not possible,
> is it?

This one is weird.  It should in fact work just like linking to another file,

> - Shouldn't we mark guimenus, guimenuitems and possibly actions in a
> special way (also make them bold)? I know that's not the case in the KDE
> docs, but I think it would be useful.

They should already have a (very subtle) light grey background.  Since that
seems to be working for me, I expect it's a little too subtle :)

I can either make the grey a little darker, or bold the text (or both) - you
can play with the CSS in common/ig-style.css, it's straight css styling for
that one, and they're near the bottom of the file marked with a comment:
/* Visual cues for GUI elements etc in the text */

> - I added <todo></todo> tags to mark where contents are missing. As they
> are not in the dtd, they are marked red in the html output. I think
> that's quite fine because you can immediately see where something is
> missing. Should we define the todo tags and assign a certain color to
> them, or just leave everything as it is currently?

The stylesheets happen to do that by default (write out things they don't
understand in red), it's actually quite handy though.  I'm ok with it, for
this draft period, although there is also a <comment> that can be used to
similar effect.

> - The bibliography does not seem to work, there are only ??? displayed
> (e.g. menus_designing.html)

Working on that one.  The bibliography markup is quite horrid, but I did at
one point have the numbers showing up, so I just need to backtrack a little
and figure out what I broke here.

> - The latex to pdf produces many errors and does not build a pdf. I'm
> not sure what the problem is....

I can certainly build a pdf here, but it takes a little human intervention.  I
know Phil and Rainer have also been working on pdflatex, so I'll see if they
can help out a bit here.

> - Lauri, could you please check if the markup is correct, mostly in
> chapter 'Menus' and 'Keyboard Operations'? Thank you 8-)

I'll get on this tomorrow, first to see if I can't fix some of the wobbly
bits.

Regards,
--
Lauri Watts