[Kde-graphics-devel] libkface

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Thu Sep 18 19:39:56 UTC 2014

El Dijous, 18 de setembre de 2014, a les 07:01:32, Gilles Caulier va escriure:
> > El Dimecres, 17 de setembre de 2014, a les 15:07:59, Tobias Leupold va
> >
> > escriure:
> >> Hi list!
> >>
> >> I'm from the KPhotoAlbum project. We recently introduced support for face
> >> detection and face recognition using libkface. Likely, this will be a
> >> part
> >> of the next release. Actually, we are the first project apart from
> >> Digikam
> >> (who initiated and maintain libkface) to use libkface.
> >>
> >> This leads to a problem: at the moment, libkface is distributed with the
> >> Digikam sources. There's an own git repository for the lib's sources in
> >> the
> >> KDE repositories, but there's no own release.
> >>
> >> Some distributors (e. g. Gentoo) have an own package for libkface
> >> nevertheless, others don't (e. g. Debian). So, at the moment, we would
> >> have
> >> to include libkface in our sources, as Digikam does (which would lead to
> >> collisions if both KPA and Digikam would be installed and is perhaps not
> >> good idea) or we would have to pull the full Digikam package as a
> >> dependency if the user wants libkface support.
> >>
> >> Both "solutions" don't seem to be nice.
> >>
> >> Thus, Gilles Caulier from Digikam suggested to move libkface into
> >> kdegraphics/libs, so that it will be included into the normal KDE release
> >> cycle and will be independent of Digikam, cf. the discussion on the
> >> Digikam
> >> mailing list:
> >>
> >> http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/digikam-devel/2014-September/075737.html
> >>
> >> He said I had to ask the kdegraphics mailing list if the admins would
> >> also
> >> agree to do so.
> >>
> >> So what do you think?
> >
> > I don't think adding to kdegraphics/libs is needed, you can just make
> > independent releases from it's current living position at extragear/libs,
> > no?
> digiKam team will not made an independent release of this library.

Collaboration \o/ oh :-/

> We have do it in the past with libkipi, libkexiv2, and libkdcraw, and
> it's the hell and time consuming. This is why these libs are hosted in
> kdegraphics/libs since a while.

And we've had countless problems with them because you kept changing them
ignoring all the rules we have for libs in kdegraphics/libs and shipping them
as part of your "digikam SC"

> If the same rules about libkface can be done to share publicly this
> API with other KDE applications, this will be perfect and homogeneous.

Anyway this is not the place to ask for a new module to be added to a stable
release, i'd say kde-core-devel is or release-team.

Cheers,
  Albert