[Kde-graphics-devel] libkface

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 05:01:32 UTC 2014

> El Dimecres, 17 de setembre de 2014, a les 15:07:59, Tobias Leupold va
> escriure:
>> Hi list!
>>
>> I'm from the KPhotoAlbum project. We recently introduced support for face
>> detection and face recognition using libkface. Likely, this will be a part
>> of the next release. Actually, we are the first project apart from Digikam
>> (who initiated and maintain libkface) to use libkface.
>>
>> This leads to a problem: at the moment, libkface is distributed with the
>> Digikam sources. There's an own git repository for the lib's sources in the
>> KDE repositories, but there's no own release.
>>
>> Some distributors (e. g. Gentoo) have an own package for libkface
>> nevertheless, others don't (e. g. Debian). So, at the moment, we would have
>> to include libkface in our sources, as Digikam does (which would lead to
>> collisions if both KPA and Digikam would be installed and is perhaps not a
>> good idea) or we would have to pull the full Digikam package as a
>> dependency if the user wants libkface support.
>>
>> Both "solutions" don't seem to be nice.
>>
>> Thus, Gilles Caulier from Digikam suggested to move libkface into
>> kdegraphics/libs, so that it will be included into the normal KDE release
>> cycle and will be independent of Digikam, cf. the discussion on the Digikam
>> mailing list:
>>
>> http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/digikam-devel/2014-September/075737.html
>>
>> He said I had to ask the kdegraphics mailing list if the admins would also
>> agree to do so.
>>
>> So what do you think?
>
> I don't think adding to kdegraphics/libs is needed, you can just make
> independent releases from it's current living position at extragear/libs, no?

digiKam team will not made an independent release of this library.

We have do it in the past with libkipi, libkexiv2, and libkdcraw, and
it's the hell and time consuming. This is why these libs are hosted in
kdegraphics/libs since a while.

If the same rules about libkface can be done to share publicly this
API with other KDE applications, this will be perfect and homogeneous.

Best

Gilles