[Kde-graphics-devel] KImageIO

Dirk Schönberger dirk.schoenberger at sz-online.de
Wed Jan 12 21:08:23 CET 2005

> This isn't hard core graphics, but I figured it might be of interest to
> people.   I have created a ImageMagick based KImageIO plugin, the unit and
> validation tests pass, but its missing a few key elements to be generally
> useful.

Sounds really interesting.

Some questions:
- Which of these filters are supported by ImageMagick natively, and which
are supported via external helper application?
  I am not sure if a dependency on a helper application would be really
useful. This applies e.g. for the eps KimageIO reader, which IMHO just
  calls Ghostscript, like the current EPS QImageIO filter, too

- which formats are read-only, and which are read write?

- I would be interested in adding file format specific parameters. E.g. if I
have a vector data format, I would like to be able to specify the
  intended width and height

- which external libraries uses your KImageIO filter. E.g I have a SVG
import filter, which unfortunately needs glib, librsvg and a couple other
  libs, which make it rather "politically incorrect"

> The big one is the QImageIO regexps to determine the image's format.

- I think at least in QImageIO the file extension should suffice
- At least in SVG it is rather difficult to find a magic regexp. You can
more or less decide if you have a XML file, but there is no easy way to
  extract the magic "<svg>" tag, because it isn't on a fixed possition in
the file. This applies IMHO for all "text based" graphics format or
"container based" graphics format (e.g. gzipped SVGs or .svgz files)

Regards
Dirk