[Kde-graphics-devel] Status update

Mosfet dan.duley at verizon.net
Tue Jan 4 16:28:51 CET 2005

Yep, and I talked with Boudewijn Rempt about it as well. We decided to share
code and discuss implementation details, but my code is much more lowlevel
than Krita's. I don't have much time, but here are the basic differences:

My tiles are 64bit RGBA, accessing them is done internally with bitshifts,
etc... The API for a layer is very similiar to a QImage with 16bit pixel
components and a few extra things for tiles. Krita on the other hand has a
much more sophisticated pixel and color representation. Mine is very fast and
will be easy for people to pick up. Krita's is much more sophisticated, but
well, slow and not so easy, (no offense intended here - it aims to do a lot
more than I do).

When Krita resumed development I had to decide what I was going to do with
MosfetPaint, (and multilayer). I decided the Krita people would probably do a
better job doing a painting app and tools. I'm a pretty lowlevel type of guy.
I would probably do a better job doing a fast multilayered raster image
implementation. So I believe we basically decided to keep doing what we are
doing but keep in touch. When the multilayer library is finished there will
be a lot more communication between myself and Krita developers.

MosfetPaint in my documentation isn't even called "MosfetPaint" anymore. It is
the "MIMS Photo Editor" and will be more for applying filters on multiple
layers. I may not even stick with 64bpp. I may instead decide to do make
MImage optionally use tiles, do a layer management class, and write a
viewport widget to render it. That way I can use all the optimized effects
and filters and whatever painter class we end up with.

So as you can see I'm going more for "how do I get multiple layers rendered as
fast as possible?" than "How do I write a Photoshop". This doesn't mean there
can't be sharing of ideas. Specifically tile management and selections have
come up. But the goals are quite different.