[Kde-graphics-devel] Status update

Mosfet dan.duley at verizon.net
Tue Jan 4 15:42:27 CET 2005

I've settled on the Imlib2 smoothscale algorithm. It's BSD licensed, produces
good output, and the MMX version runs in about 1/6th the time of Qt.

I also did a quick inline MMX version of the Qt algorithm that ran in about
1/2 the time, but that is nowhere as fast as the Imlib one and required
3dnow! Not as good.

My plan right now is to release an MImage alpha, hopefully people will test
it, then backport the effects (including the scaling), to KImageEffect. If
you guys want to snag anything MImage, Imlib2, and KImageEffect are all BSD
licensed.

I did a quick tarball awhile ago of effects ported from MImage to QImage but
didn't get a whole lot of feedback. Now I am just focusing on getting MImage
released. It's mostly just image encoders, (the decoders are finished), and
dithering I have to finish.

...snip...