[Kde-graphics-devel] Status update

Lars Knoll lars at trolltech.com
Tue Jan 4 13:07:16 CET 2005

Hi Mosfet,

On Tuesday 04 January 2005 12:29, Mosfet wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 January 2005 03:59 am, Lars Knoll wrote:
> ...snip..
>
> > > your canvas backend to increase performance, but if the X server is
> > > running at 15 or 16bpp your going to lose color resolution. If you guys
> > > are old school you'll remember XPaint always warning about this ;-)
> >
> > True. I've forwarded this to the arthur maintainers for consideration.
> > Adding image based brushes shouldn't be too difficult.
>
> Hi Lars! It's been a long time. Nice to see you on the list :)

thanks. It's good hearing of you again as well :)

> That would certainly be cool.
>
> > > You'd want a brush class that has it's own image, not an X pixmap.
> > > Fonts are another problem, too...
> >
> > Mostly solved in arthur. You can convert a rendered text string into a
> > path that you can then use for drawing on your surface. Currently this
> > only works for outline fonts, but we'll add support for bitmap fonts
> > before 4.0.
>
> To be honest I didn't notice that. Good deal. Drawing text on images was a
> big problem on Qt3.x.

I know. I've just seen the conversion to paths work with bitmap fonts as well
today (only on Windows for now, but the X11 version will follow soon). So
this is definitively solved for 4.0 :)

Btw, we are thinking about a paintengine for images, but this is something we
won't have in 4.0. There are too many other things to do first.

I've noticed that in some other mail you've spoken about performance issues in
QImage (scaling etc). I'd be happy to add optimised code for these things to
Qt if you've got any that you are willing to contribute :)

Cheers,
Lars