[Kde-graphics-devel] (no subject)

dirk.schoenberger at sz-online.de dirk.schoenberger at sz-online.de
Fri Dec 17 15:23:28 CET 2004

> The problems with incorrect rendering of KSVG may be due to the little
> manpower I mentioned. But don't forget that the svg Icon engine doesn't
> support all SVG features. it's stripped out of KSVG with focus on
> performance.

IMHO the SVG icon engine is stripped to the point of unuseability.
You may render static icons, if you know that you only need, say a 16x16
pixels.
Because of SVG icon lengine it is not really possible to let the icon
engine determine how big the resulting image is.
Another problem seems to be the strange urge to re-invent render APIs, ie.
only use basic rendering libraries like AGG or libart, instead of a proper
rendering layer with exchangeable backends.
IMHO this leads to much to much redundant work, because shared
functionality like parsing of the SVG path description and the building of
the vector paths has to be implemented again and again and again, each
time differently.

This means that each SVG related sub-project only understands a
sub-dialect of SVG, which doesn't really help.

Regards
Dirk