[Kde-graphics-devel] Hello and new effects

Mosfet dan.duley at verizon.net
Wed Dec 15 15:27:21 CET 2004

Hi all,

As those of you who read kde-core-devel know, I've been on hiatus for a couple
years and no longer work in the computer industry, but have been coding in my
spare time and have improved effects I've been working on.

Most of my work hasn't been on QImage but on a similiar toolkit-independent
image library that's half finished called MImage. The API is very similiar,
tho, so I'd like to backport the improvements to KDE. I started MImage
basically so I wouldn't have to use ImageMagick or Imlib when doing command
line utilities, but use a QImage like API all the time, so porting code back
and forth is pretty much just replacing M's with Q's ;-)

I've prepared a description of effects currently in KImageEffect that I have
rewritten and will post that next. As for porting them, I won't be able to do
that until after Christmas, (my disks are at 96 and 97% right now but I'm
getting a 120G one). But I am not adverse to posting the MImage-based code
right now and porting it in a few weeks if you all want to see what it's
like.

Either way we have to decide what to do with KImageEffect. I know Zack
mentioned he wants to start a new image library. I dont' know if that's
needed but if not we will need a new branch for adding binary incompatible
stuff.

The descriptions of changes I made will follow.