T10243: Some KDE applications could use better icons

Alessandro Longo noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Sep 28 15:38:16 BST 2019

alex-l added a comment.

  In T10243#202038 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T10243#202038>, @mglb wrote:

  > In T10243#201329 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T10243#201329>, @alex-l wrote:
  >
  > > EDIT: I have already said this here and there but please don't run any automated script to SVG icons, because when opening them back in Inkscape they are corrupted and everytime I edit a Breeze icon I have to do additional work to fix shapes and gradients corrupted by the scripts.
  >

  > Samples please, it would be nice to fix inkscape and/or scripts.
  >  Also, we could store original/inkscape-friendly svg files in repo and run optimization script as part of install process.
  >
  > > The diagonal thing in Konsole icon is to add some identity, without it we would have a classic terminal icon.
  >
  > Why "different"/non-classic icon is better than classic terminal icon? Classic one is already known and everyone will be able to find it in their menu.
  >
  > > Any ideas on how to add identity in general?
  >
  > Basic/core applications (i.e. KWrite, Konsole, Dolphin, etc) come with the system "by default" and users need to find them easily without knowing how an app icon looks like in specific desktop environment. I guess people see them as "built-in" functions, not as stand-alone applications.

  As I said in another comment an example of problem in Inkscape is ">" symbol in Konsole 48x48px icon. Btw those scripts are just to save package's size, there is no point to run them after installation, also because SVG icons are rendered once and then stored in the cache, so there is any advantage in making them optimized but reducing loading time for the first time the icon is shown.

  If KDE wants their apps to have an identity, and this is what someone expressed in this thread, we can't ship just generic icon. In fact I see Konsole used without Plasma in /r/unixporn posts on Reddit.

TASK DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/T10243