Moving gluon, gluon-blocks, ksokoban and libtagaro from playground-games to unmaintained

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 02:34:06 GMT 2019

Hi Albert,

> On 3 Jan 2019, at 9:51 am, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
>
> https://cgit.kde.org/ksokoban.git/log/
> https://cgit.kde.org/libtagaro.git/log/
> https://cgit.kde.org/gluon.git/log/
> https://cgit.kde.org/gluon-blocks.git/log/
>
> All of the 4 are still qt4 based
>
> All of them haven't had any meaningul commit in a long time
>
> Anyone against us moving them away from the "playground" virtual location to the "unmaintained" one?

libtagaro
     "Replacement for libkdegames which will allow KDE games to scale to mobile form factors, and to fully take advantage of Qt 4 facilities.”
    The idea was good, but the author never finished work on it.
gluon
    "An open framework for developing, playing and distributing games.”
gluon-blocks
    "The first game for KDE/Gluon”
    Gluon was an ambitious project to revolutionise all KDE Games development, but it never came to fruition. I was quite interested
    in using Gluon, but the project never seemed to present anything I could get my teeth into. The authors have been long gone.
ksokoban
    A delightful KDE 3 game which never made the “cut” for conversion to Qt4/KDE4. Several good games failed to make that cut,
    due to lack of resources in the KDE Games team, which was about 20 strong at Akademy 2008 BTW. Reasons were obscurity of
    existing code, lack of access to original author, need to re-develop all the artwork, etc.

    Someone was going to replace KSokoban with Magazynier (Polish for “shopkeeper”. cf. Japanese “sokoban” = "warehouse man”).
    I do not recall whether Magazynier ever got released or whether it too should go into “unmaintained".

    SO, facing reality, YES, move all 4 of the above to “unmaintained”.

> At least saves some translators that may spend time translating them for no real reason.

I also mourn the loss of all the development effort… here and in other lost KDE games… :-(

Cheers,
Ian W.