Knights, current state and next steps

Luigi Toscano luigi.toscano at tiscali.it
Fri Sep 21 09:38:11 BST 2018

Alexander Semke ha scritto:
> Hi,
>
> Knights is in a quite good shape now and I though like I need to give some
> update on the current status and to also ask for some help and recommendations
> for how to release a new version of knights after such a long break.

Thanks a lot for working on it! Few answers about the points raised:

> Couple of points where I'd need some help from the community:
>
> 1. https://www.kde.org/applications/games/knights/ - old screenshot is used,
> maybe it's better to take one of the screenshots I uploaded recently to
> https://cdn.kde.org/screenshots/knights/, author name(s) should be adjusted
> and the name of the application should be changed from KNights to Knights (or
> to knights?)

The screenshot on  https://www.kde.org/applications/games/knights/ is exactly
what I see when I freshly compile the game.  On the other side the screenshots
on cdn.kde.org have a non-standard theme and shows element not enabled by
default. You should use the standard theme for widgets and decorations when
you create screenshots for cdn.kde.org.

> 2. https://games.kde.org/category.php?category=board - here the game is not
> listed yet

I suspect that the site is generally dedicated to the games part of the KDE
Applications bundle (previously SC). That said, I'm not sure who is the
maintainer of the website right now.

> 3. https://l10n.kde.org/stats/gui/trunk-kf5/po/knights.po/ - there are not too
> many translations available yet...

It's not bad either: 11 languages at 100%, another 14 between 99% and 93%.

You should ping kde-l10n-doc@ :)

> 4. the current icon looks a bit outdated, would be great to get here a fresh
> icon

That's probably for the VDG team, unless someone here can help.

> 5. appstream file is not available yet.

That's not true, there is an appstream file:
https://cgit.kde.org/knights.git/tree/src/org.kde.knights.appdata.xml

> 6. how to release? What is the release cycle for other KDE games?

Right now Knights is an "extragear" package, which means that it has its own
release cycle. That's not different from labplot, so the usual rules applies:
https://community.kde.org/ReleasingSoftware

You may decide to have it joining the KDE Applications bundle. It's up to you.

Ciao
--
Luigi