Kubrick

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 07:50:08 UTC 2017

Hi Andrius and Luigi,

On 23/06/2017, at 6:35 AM, Luigi Toscano wrote:
> Andrius Štikonas ha scritto:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Are there any objections to merging Kubrick frameworks to master?
>> KDELibs4Support was also removed.
>>
>> It starts and seems to work. I don't see any regressions.
>
> Thanks! Time to revive the porting effort. I did some testing some time ago
> and from the quick checks I redid now it seems to work (or it doesn't seem to
> differ). The game files are imported too. Please merge.

Here are some suggestions for things to check in the KF5 version of Kubrick
re possible regressions.

a) The initial demo should run for a minute or so, changing the dimensions of the
     cube, brick or mat from time to time.  This will exercise most of the Kubrick
     internals, in particular the interface to Qt5 and from there to OpenGL.

b) Some subtle points re picture quality in the demo should be checked by eye.
        - The surfaces are partially reflective (like plastic), so should glisten
           occasionally as the cube turns randomly.
        - The edges of the coloured patches should be properly anti-aliased.
        - The 1 Cube, 2 Cubes and 3 Cubes actions should give neat layouts
           of cubes and text areas.

c) All menu actions, toolbar actions and settings should work as expected.

d) In particular, a few items in Demos->Pretty Patterns and Demos->Solution Moves
     should be tried to ensure that the data files are being retrieved correctly via
     QStandardPaths and without XDG globals being set (those globals do not
     apply on non-Linux platforms).

e) Left-button drag should move one slice of the cube and right-button drag should
     turn the whole cube around.

f) When attempting to solve a cube, using the mouse, characters should appear in
    the text-field labelled "Singmaster Moves".  This is a read-only field, but it should
    also be possible to move the cube by typing the corresponding letters on the
    keyboard.  It is normal for the cube to lag behind the character display a little.
    The "What's This?" of the Singmaster Moves field explains how the notation works.

g) There is an undocumented Key K which should switch the background,
     but do not worry if it does not work… :-)

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Ian W.
Kubrick author